Frequently Asked Questions


Is it possible to extend the length of my study?

We normally do not encourage students to extend their length of study. However, we do offer extensions for students who cannot complete the program within the defined timeframe upon review of each individual case. Please contact the programme office for further discussion regarding your study plan.

What is the difference between Master of Public Health (MPH, Epidemiology and Biostatistics Concentration) and Master of Science in Epidemiology and Biostatistics (MScEPB)?

MPH provides a broad curriculum in the core competencies of public health as follows: 1) Epidemiology and Biostatistics, 2) Health Promotion and Social Behaviour, 3) Environmental and Occupational Health & Infectious Diseases, 4) Population and Global Health and 5) Health Systems, Policy and Management. Students reading MPH who have chosen the Epidemiology and Biostatistics Concentration can only choose up to 10 units of the courses under the MScEPB curriculum, while MScEPB provides more advanced level and comprehensive epidemiology and biostatistics related courses. The teaching staff and course content are the same between these two programmes.

I am graduate from Postgraduate Diploma in Epidemiology and Biostatistics / Master of Public Health, shall I apply unit exemption when I study MScEPB?

Graduates from the above programmes at the JC School of Public Health and Primary Care, CUHK who apply for further studies in the MSc in Epidemiology and Biostatistics, may be exempted from courses shared, provided certain conditions have been met. Please consult MScEPB office for details.

Do I need to pay extra tuition fee if I exceed the total units required?

The Extra tuition fee will be charged per unit. Adjustment and changes may apply without prior notice. For latest information please contact the MScEPB office for details.


Do I need a visa for full-time study? What does the visa application procedure involve?

Yes, international students need to apply for our programme to be eligible for an entry visa to study in Hong Kong. The entire student visa application process usually takes up to 8 weeks to process. Once you are admitted into CUHK, the CUHK Graduate School will send you an admission package which includes instructions for visa application. Students are required to provide all necessary documents to Graduate School Office (GSO) of CUHK by end of May. Others, you would be risking delay of your visa application

If I don’t have all the required supporting documents, can I still go ahead and submit an application?

We encourage applicants to submit an application first while they are still preparing necessary documents. You are advised to submit the application via the online portal of the CUHK Graduate School website along with scanned copies of all your academic documents. However, you are required to send us the original supporting documents before any admission result is released. Please send us all the documents no later than one month after submitting your online application. Those who have not yet taken the English test should indicate their scheduled test dates on their application forms.

How many intakes do you offer each year for Master of Science in Epidemiology & Biostatistics /Postgraduate Diploma in in Epidemiology & Biostatistics? When do the courses start?

Both programmes have one intake of students per academic year, usually commencing in September. Candidates should start their applications around October every year for the next year's intake.

Do I need to attend an admission interview?

Our programme generally does not arrange admission interview with applicants.

Tuition Fee

Is the program fee paid in a lump sum or installments?

A successful applicant who accepts an offer from the programme is required to pay a non-refundable deposit, which will be offset against the outstanding programme fee. The remainder of the programme fee will be paid in three installments.

How can I get the tuition fee receipt?

Tuition fee receipt will be issued upon request. For application, please contact Finance Office: Student Fees: (852) 3943-7279 / 3943-7238 Email: General Enquiry: (852) 3943-7227 Email: